Friday, December 19, 2008

Week in Review

Has it really been 8 days since my last post? WTF? Where have the days been going? So, I decided since I've been really lame and lagging on my posts, this one is going to be my Week in Review. But FIRST, I am taking a cue from my friend over at Don't Touch The Cactus (can't think of how to do the linky thing right now, and really don't want to search to find out how like I had to last time)...and I need to give my children pseudo-names (get it, play on words...hehe pseudonym...ok, it was funny to me)...because it gets tiresome saying "My 4 year old", "My 11 year old", etc...

So here goes:

My 11 year old is SAM (these are her initials, I was going to use "Beana" because this was her nickname when she was a baby, but I don't think she'd appreciate being called that now)

My 6 year old is 'Cita (we added 'cita to the end of her name when she was a baby because she was being babysat by a hispanic lady, and it basically means "little")

My 4 year old is Monkey, just because that's what I call her most of the time

And the baby (10 months) will be Baby Pants...it was hard not to give her the name Sweet Girl, because that is truly what we call her most of the time, but Danielle already nicknamed her daughter that on her blog, and I don't want to confuse readers that read mine and hers. :)

Okay...and Now...for the WEEK IN REVIEW:

Monday - This was Monkey's first day at Pre-K at Tutor Time. She had been going to our wonderful day care provider who ran a licensed daycare out of her home, for just about 3 years now. But, she's getting to that age where she just needs a little more, and I was really going back and forth on making the decision, until my babysitter actually told me that she thought Monkey was getting bored, and that maybe a preschool program would be better for her. And I was already planning on putting her in Tutor Time for their Private Kindergarten next fall anyway, so I thought having her in the Pre-K program would get her ready. SAM went to Kindergarten at Tutor Time when we lived in California, and it was great...so we'll see how it goes.

Tuesday - I worked from home, don't think I got very much done. When SAM and 'Cita got home from school, we went and got their hair cut, and made our first trip ever to Savers! That place is AWESOME! I thought it was going to be all ghetto, but it really wasn't. I got SAM a nice pair of jeans for $2.99! The whole reason for going there was to pick up some Christmas ornaments for their Girl Scout party because they were having an ornament exchange, and I really didn't feel like braving Target that afternoon. Oh, and I did put together our Family Christmas Cards and addressed and stamped most of them. My husband is still procrastinating and hasn't gotten me the addresses to the family members that he wants to mail cards to. So, who knows if they will get them on time or not...most likely not.

Wednesday - Worked in the office, rushed home to get all the girls and get home for dinner so I could get SAM, 'Cita and Monkey to their mid-week program at church called AWANA. Came home, played with Baby Pants for a little while, then had to go back to the church to pick up the girls.

Thursday - Drove down to Tucson for a meeting with a client. It took 3 1/2 hours to get there due to an accident on the I10. YUCK! Was down there til about 3pm, and got home by 5pm which was great. Had to run to Target last night because of course SAM needed graham crackers, frosting and candies to decorate her gingerbread house at school today...'Cita was having a melt down because she didn't get to finish her gingerbread house at school (they made theirs out of brown paper bags and paper cut out decorations), but we didn't have glue so she couldn't finish it at home either...so I had to get glue at Target too. We also had to buy all of their Teachers Christmas Cards and Hot Cocoa packets, because I wanted to look like I "somewhat" have it together this year. Which brings us to...

Today (Friday) - Last night I was too tired to get miffed about this, but this morning boy did it get my panties in a bunch. So, last night I was looking through 'Cita's folder from school where they send home all their completed worksheets, etc. So, as I'm going through, it's your basic stuff, math, spelling, etc... Then I get to the packet that it looks like they were probably working on this week because it was the last week of school before Christmas...and I'm going to call it the "Holiday" packet. I'm thinking "Cool, they worked on holiday fun worksheets" (can you see where this is going?). Yeah, so as I'm turning the pages over, I see two worksheets related to Hannukah, two worksheets related to Kwanzaa, and then the rest of it is Santa, Rudolph, Snowmen, etc... Right, where the heck is the mention of Christmas??? NOWHERE TO BE FOUND! Now, let me tell ya, I do not get my panties in a bunch when people say "Happy Holidays" because it's sort of a blanket statement, and you can choose to appreciate it for whichever holiday you celebrate. However, I am NOT okay when a school decides it is OK to teach children about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, and leave out Christmas. I am perfectly OK with my children learning about different religious traditions, I think it's great to learn about many things...but if you are going to teach about some...you better teach about all, or leave it all completely generalized and only do Snowmen, Candy Canes, Gingerbread Houses etc. OK...could you tell I got worked up about that one?? hehe. Now I'm stuck with debating on whether or not I make a stink and send letters to the school board, principal, etc. I'm not trying to be a bible bashing Christian, but I think it's only fair if you are going to include some holidays, you include all. Phew! Okay, end rant on that one.

And end post for the day. :) Have a great weekend!

No comments: